Did you ever wonder what to do when those energy saving light bulbs finally die? They – and all fluorescent bulbs – contain mercury (Hg) which is considered a hazardous material. Because of this they must be disposed of properly.
Most CFLs contain very little mercury and do not constitute a health hazard if you break one. However they should still be treated with care if they break. Check out the link Handling of broken flourescent lamps for details.
Go to the following website for information on recycling all of those lamps that contain mercury (Hg).
Link to www.lamprecycle.org