This page contains errata for all of my Linux books. It does not contain lists of minor misspellings or inconsequential typographical errors. It does contain information about errors that result in significant inconsistencies, that may result in problems with the experiments, or that are incomplete or incorrect in the books. As many of these corrections as possible will be included in the next edition of these books.
If you do encounter any problems that you wish to bring to my attention, please contact me at LinuxGeek46@both.org and I will make any necessary corrections.
Using and Administering Linux: Volume 1 – Zero to SysAdmin: Getting Started
- In Chapter 4, Preparation, Page 103, step 17 of creating the VM in a Linux environment, the change group (chgrp) command should be # chgrp vboxusers /Experiments/ which makes the group ownership of the /Experiments directory vboxusers instead of root. This prevents errors when attempting to create the virtual disk for StudentVM1. Thanks to Paolo Giuliani for bringing this error to my attention.
- Figure 16-2, systemd targets on Page 472 has been revised to make the systemd targets the primary column and sorted in a manner that makes more sense for systemd.
- Experiment 16-4 has the student alter the /etc/defalt/grub configuration file to change the GRUB boot menu delay, and to remove rhgb and quiet from the kernel command line. It also has the student change the kernel variable GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY from true to false. This last change no longer causes each kernel to have a recovery boot option. The rest of this experiment works as it should regardless of the setting of this variable. This experiment is still valuable despite the fact that this one part no longer works as it once did.
- Figure 16-5 has rendered poorly in all the paperback and electronic versions. This image is correct and should render well.
- Figure 19-2 is incomplete. Check this revised version or download from my website, or from the Apress GitHub repository.