My new book, Linux for Small Business Owners: Using Free and Open Source Software to Power Your Dreams, with co-author Cyndi Bulka, yoga instructor, coach, and author, is now available.
- At Apress https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-1-4842-8264-9
- At Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Linux-Small-Business-Owners-Software/dp/1484282639/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1659122786&sr=8-1
This book examines the use of Linux and also the other Free Open Source Software you need to meet your business challenges including the usual accounting, Email, web browsing, word-processing tasks.
Most small business owners perform many tasks including that of administering their computers. This book shows you how to find and install new software you need to run your business and keep it up to date using the tools already provided by Linux and the secure, trusted repositories available online. It also explores how to decide which tasks to do in-house and which you might want to sub out to external resources such as advertising and contact services to attract and keep customers.
Linux for Small Business Owners provides some logic, reason, and explanation for each of the steps that are needed and the tools used to implement Linux in your small business. It is a detailed guide to removing Windows from your computers and installing Linux and some commonly used open source software like the LibreOffice suite of programs, accounting, and other software useful to many small businesses. It also provides the information and tools necessary to manage and maintain Linux and applications up-to-date and secure.
What you’ll learn.
- Understand what the term “free/open source” means and how you can apply it to your business.
- Look at the operational and financial advantages of using Free Open Source Software instead of expensive, proprietary software.
- See why you will never need to pay for anti-virus and anti-malware software again.
- Replace expensive software like Microsoft Office with open source tools such as LibreOffice
- Review the factors required to make an informed decision about switching to Linux.
- Install new applications, updates to Linux, and the application software.
- Explore why backups are critical, how to create them, and how to use them to restore lost data.
Who This Book Is For
Ideal for small business owners and owner-operated small businesses looking to streamline operations, save money, time and energy managing the common problems associated with using more popular operating systems.